Friday, October 30, 2009

Welcome Guests, Or, How To Host A Work Party

Today I am at The Blushing Hostess, writing about how to host a dinner for your team.
(Your work team, that is, not QBS's rowerboys, or my son's high school soccer team. Sports teams require different dinners. Probably more blushing, less hostess.) To say nothing of two great dipping sauce recipes.

If you've come over from the Hostess, I would like to extend a very warm welcome. I wrote about hosting a workgroup because, while the prospect can be daunting and anxiety-producing, it's also one of the best things you can do as a manager building a team. And, I have found, the occasionally exhausting focus on protocol, common to High WASPs, can be useful in navigating the dynamics of a career. To say nothing of working for some very smart people over the years. That helps too.

When Catherine asked me if I would write a guest post, I didn't think twice about accepting. I was very excited. My favorite part of The Blushing Hostess is the actual menus she posts from historical dinners. Including the last dinner on the Titanic. But I'm also fond of china, silver, giveaways, and personal memoirs about the rebellion of tattoos. Yes. It turns out that one can, in fact, use the words china, memoirs, and tattoos in the same sentence. Who knew?

Please join me there and take a look around. Have a wonderful weekend.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Karena said...

Wonderful posting over at The Blushing Hostess, Great tips for entertaining everyone can use!

October 30, 2009 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger Red Lipstick said...

I just loved this post, it makes me want to host a lovely party! My fiance has started a business, so it is likley I will have to in the upcoming year. I will undoubtly refer to your post for ideas. And humor of course, your last sentence really made my morning! Happy Halloween!

October 30, 2009 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger The Blushing Hostess said...

Love it: You. This place. And Doc Martens. I will never again be without a qualified sounding board in the blogosphere. So pleased I found you, and so very grateful you came to see me today. With many kind thanks, Catherine

October 30, 2009 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Maria | Vintage Simple said...

Fine China and tattoos, you say? I'll have to head over there, then..! :)

xoxo,
-maria

October 30, 2009 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Jessica Ryan said...

oh crud... I was asked too... and I forgot... Ugh... I was so overwhelmed with health issues and life that I plum forgot. Talk about bad etiquette... I am off to apologize and to read your (marvelous, I am certain!) post!

October 30, 2009 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger QueenBeeSwain said...

per the norm- spotless advice and luuuuurved the writing :)

PS- if it was for a bunch of rowerboys, blushing, rowdiness and lots of etiquette DO NOTs would occur!

PPS- I am not a baseball fan, even when it's the World Series, although I did attend a few parties near Red Sox Central when they won the World Series a few years ago- Head of the Charles weekend aligned. We got to stay and party later because the Sox won and no one was able to leave the bar! So I guess I like baseball when something like that happens ;)

kHm

October 30, 2009 at 6:05 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Loved the informative post your wrote and will print of the recipe's to make soon. Have a great weekend!

October 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

I thoroughly enjoy your comments. If you find this form is broken, my apologies. Please email me and I will rage against the machine.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home