Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Madeleine Albright Says, "Read My Pins".

We are not alone, pin-wearers. Jill, at Stella's Roar, brought this to my attention. Ms. Albright, our former Secretary of State (and a Wellesley graduate), takes the identity-though-lapel-jewelry process one step further.
In 1997, Albright was named the first female Secretary of State and became, at that time, the highest ranking woman in the history of the U.S. government. While serving under President Bill Clinton, first as U.S ambassador to the United Nations, and then as Secretary of State, Albright became known for wearing brooches that purposefully conveyed her views about the situation at hand. “I found that jewelry had become part of my personal diplomatic arsenal,” Secretary Albright has said. “While President George H.W. Bush had been known for saying ‘Read my lips,’ I began urging colleagues and reporters to ‘Read my pins." (museum of arts and design)

What do we think the snake was saying? And to whom?

Images:
From an upcoming exhibition at the museum of arts and design in New York City
via Stella's Roar.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Jan said...

Don't tread on me or I'll eat your foot?

August 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM  
Blogger QueenBeeSwain said...

What a fierce statement! Live Free or Die!

ps- you're tagged for summer fav's dearie!

kHm

August 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Kalee said...

Ha! Great post!

August 19, 2009 at 6:19 PM  
Blogger What Kate Wore said...

The asp (doesn't it look more aspish than snake-ish?) is saying to all comers, "Don't even think about it..." accompanied by a smile (the rhinestone). This is an exhibit we are *dying* to see, thank you for posting about it!
tp

August 19, 2009 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger LPC said...

An asp! No question, don't tread on me, live free or die, don't even think about it.

August 19, 2009 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Sarah Ryhanen said...

um..I MUST HAVE THAT PIN

August 20, 2009 at 4:59 AM  
Anonymous Maya said...

"Read my pins", love that!

August 20, 2009 at 8:44 AM  
Blogger Maureen@IslandRoar said...

I'm thinking Ben Franklin...Declaration of Independence....
Pins used to be so big back in the day. My father always bought us pins for our winter and spring coats, and my mother wore them on special occasions.
I still have a collection.

August 20, 2009 at 10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regardless of other pieces I put on, my sailors rope bracelet stays on pre-Memorial Day through.....well, typically October-ish. (scrubbed in the shower daily...!) Yeah, I know tradition says first day of summer off on the last.....oh well.
It's tangled with my pearl bracelet, co-habitated with my charms, held its own among enamel bangles.....never considered taking it off when dressing "up".....
The whole tribe has been putting them on together for yeeeeeears.......(the kid's ropes are completely mangy after a few weeks.....but it doesn't matter)
Jewelry, ornaments, adornments are intriguing....how people wear them, and mostly WHY they wear them.....Great post.

August 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger Little Bow Prep said...

I'm not quite sure what the meaning is, but I rather like them :)

August 20, 2009 at 9:05 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I think the snake is saying..."Bite Me"

August 21, 2009 at 5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

I thoroughly enjoy your comments. If you find this form is broken, my apologies. Please email me and I will rage against the machine.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home